COVID-19 Changes to licensing services
Changes to our Licensing Service
We are experiencing some disruption to our licensing service as a result of Coronavirus restrictions.
- We are continuing to process applications where we can.
- Note that our offices are currently closed.
- Please send any documents by email to email@example.com
- Please make payments by phone on 01303 853660
- Advice for restaurants, pubs, bars and takeaways can be found on this web page link
We have resumed Knowledge Tests and are accepting new applications as normal.
Please call Customer Services to book a test: 01303 853660
Renewals - special arrangements
- Applications to renew vehicle and driver licences are being processed.
- If you are due to renew your licence but are self-isolating or are not currently working as a result of government restrictions, we will allow you to let your licence lapse with a view to a full renewal application being made at a later date when you are able to continue working.
- This means a vehicle or driver will be unlicensed for a period of time and will not be able to carry out taxi work. However, the new application will be treated as if it were a renewal (for example, vehicles can be over three years old, drivers will not be required to sit a knowledge test or complete a new medical if it was not due).
- However, you must email us before your licence expires, confirming your wish to allow the licence to lapse and your intention to reapply at a later date. Please clearly state your name and badge/ plate number in the email.
- Renewal applications made under this arrangement must be received by 2 December 2020. Applications received after this date will be processed as "new applications " and be subject criteria for newly licensed vehicles will apply.
Please note once a vehicle licence expires, the compliance certificate is no longer valid for MOT purposes. If you wish to continue to use the vehicle for other purposes, it must have a regular MOT in place.
- We understand that drivers may be unable to obtain a medical due to restricted access to GP surgeries. In such cases, we are asking drivers to complete and return a self -declaration of medical fitness.
- This will operate as a temporary measure for one month to enable drivers to continue to work.
- If your DBS was due, you should complete the online application form via the email from Employment Check that will have been sent to you.
- Once we have received confirmation that you have submitted the online application we will contact you to make an appointment for you to bring your ID to the Civic Centre for verification.
- Appointments will now not be made until after lockdown has ended but drivers may continue to work. If you have not completed the online form then your licence will be suspended until such a time as you complete the form.
- It remains a condition of your licence that you notify us of any convictions.
Vehicle compliance checks
- We have two garages that can undertake compliance checks.
- S&S Motors, Tudor Road, Folkestone
- Cheriton Motor House, Caesars Way, Folkestone
- Any licensed vehicle with a compliance check due from 1 June must present their vehicle for a check at one of the above garages in the normal way. If you are self-isolating and cannot take your vehicle in for the compliance you must notify us immediately and you may not use the vehicle for any purpose as it is the equivalent of driving without an MOT and you will not be covered by your insurance.
- If the Government issues permission for MOTs to have an extension as with the previous lockdown then we will match this and allow a 1 month extension to your compliance expiry date.
- Vehicles with compliance checks due between 1 April 2020 and 31 May 2020 can benefit from the six-month extension to expiry dates that were originally granted.
- Vehicles must be roadworthy, maintained in good repair and clean condition, and meet all licence conditions as set out in our handbook.
Personal and Premises Licences
- We are receiving personal licence applications, however we will contact you to make an appointment to check original ID after 2 December so your application may be delayed.
- Businesses are advised to note current restrictions on pubs, clubs, restaurants and other venues.