Apply for a new club premises certificate

You need a certificate to sell or supply alcohol, or provide regulated entertainment (like musical performances or film screenings) to members or guests. If you're running a business, you must apply for a premises licence instead

How much it costs

Application fees depend on the rateable value of the premises. If your premises doesn't have a rateable value eg schools, community halls or open spaces, your premises will fall into the lowest fee band.

Club premises certificate application fees
BandRateable value of businessApplication feeAnnual fee
A£0 - £4,300£100£70
B£4,301 - £33,000£190£180
C£33,001 - £87,000£315£295
D£87,001 - £125,000£450£320

You will be charged the annual fee until you surrender your certificate.

How to apply

Download, complete, and return the declaration and application form with payment to the address shown on the form. You may need to send in a new plan for your premises.

You must send copies of your application to the police and other responsible authorities.

Icon for pdf Application for a club premises certificate [22.85KB]
Icon for pdf Declaration for a club premises certificate [67.65KB]
Icon for pdf Guidance for premises plans [40.04KB]

You can also pay by credit or debit card by calling us on 01303 853660.

Publicising your application

You'll need to display a notice of application at your premises.

Icon for pdf Notice of application for a club premises certificate [40.38KB]

This gives local residents and businesses 28 days to read your proposal and make representations if they wish.

What happens next?

We'll process your application in 24 hours and if there are no representations at the end of the 28 day representation period, we'll issue your licence 24 hours later.

If there are representations, the Licensing Sub-Committee will hold a hearing, which all parties will be invited to attend. At the hearing, the Licensing Sub-Committee will decide either to grant or reject your application.

We will write to you to confirm the decision, and tell you what you can do if you wish to appeal.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page