Approval of domestic electrical work

All new domestic electrical work (for example in a house, flat or small commercial premise linked to domestic accommodation) must be designed and installed to comply with Part P (Electrical Safety) of the building regulations

These regulations make sure that electrical work in the home is carried out safely, but not all work needs to be approved.

When do I need approval for electrical work?

You must get approval for electrical work in:

  • new dwelling houses and flats
  • dwellings and business premises that share an electrical supply (e.g. shops and pubs)
  • common access areas in flats (e.g. lobbies and laundry rooms)
  • outbuildings (e.g. sheds, greenhouses and detached garages)
  • external situations associated with the building (e.g. pond pumps and fixed lighting)
  • new circuits in existing dwellings or new extensions
  • existing domestic kitchens or bathrooms

When you don't need approval

  • domestic repairs, replacements or maintenance works
  • extra power points, lighting points or other alterations to existing circuits (except for kitchens, bathrooms or outdoors)

How do I get approval for electrical work?

You can get approval for electrical work in one of two ways:

Using a Part P registered electrician is the safest and cheapest option

Part P registered electricians are qualified to self-certify their own work so you won't have to apply to building control.

You can find a Part P registered electrician in the Competent Persons Register.

If you don't use a registered electrician

If you use an unregistered electrician or other person to do your electrical work, you'll need to send a building notice to building control and pay £225. Our electrical contractors will check the work on behalf of building control. If they approve them, we'll issue you with a certificate.