What is building control?

Responsibilities of building control, dangerous structures and demolitions

Making sure buildings meet legal and regulatory standards

The building control system exists to make sure that buildings are properly designed and constructed so as to ensure the health, safety, welfare and convenience of people using them.

Building control regulates the construction of buildings so that they meet standards set out in the building regulations.

Dangerous structures

Buildings can become dangerous at any time and for a variety of reasons ranging from settlement or old age, vehicle impact, vandalism or design defects, to more dramatic causes such as fire, explosion or storm damage.

We operate a 24-hour emergency callout service.

Report a dangerous structure to us

If you discover such a building contact:

  • During office hours: 01303 853 538
  • Outside of office hours: 01303 221888

What happens after I report a dangerous structure?

Usually building control surveyors arrange for the owners of such a building to undertake the necessary work to remove the hazard.

In some instances, however, if owners cannot be traced, or cannot undertake immediate action, building control will arrange for its own contractors to remove the danger.

In such circumstances costs incurred by the council are recovered/recharged to the owner of the property.


Where demolition of a building takes place, the owner must inform the council. Building control services control demolition work under Section 80 of the Building Act 1984, and will visit the site to ensure that precautions are in place to safeguard the public.

Minor demolition works (those under 50 cubic metres) are not controlled under the Building Act.

How can I apply for a demolition?

Applications for demolition should be made to building control, 6 weeks before the demolition starts.

Following an inspection, a Counter Notice is served which will outline any precautionary measures required.

A Section 81 Notice to persons undertaking demolition is served which will outline any precautionary measures required.

Approval under Town and Country Planning Acts may also be required.