Need help filling out a form? We now provide a web chat service from 8.30 to 8pm weekdays and 9am to 2pm on Saturdays on this forms.

Exceptional hardship scheme

You may be able to get some extra help with your Council Tax

Who can apply?

To be considered for a short-term exceptional hardship award, you must:

  • be experiencing extreme and intolerable financial hardship;
  • be getting or have applied for Council Tax Reduction; and
  • show that you have tried all other reasonable ways to try to pay your Council Tax
  • If you pay a top-up on your rent you must have submitted a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) application within the last 13 weeks before you proceed with an Exceptional Hardship Support application. 

Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

How it works

Exceptional hardship support is not a cash payment, but an account balancing payment to help manage debt.

Any award approved will only be made for Council Tax within the current financial year and will only be provided for a limited time.

pdf icon Exceptional Hardship Policy 2018 [125kb]

How to apply

Complete the online application form, making sure you provide:

  • your Council Tax reference number
  • information on any illnesses or disabilities that you think contribute to higher expenses eg a letter from your GP
  • the value of household savings and other assets
  • details of household income and expenditure

Apply now

What happens next?

We will notify you of the outcome of your application in writing via email or post.