Student Council Tax discount
If you are a full-time student you are exempt from council tax.
You are considered a full-time student if:
- you are aged 18 or over and are at college, university or similar (including student nurses and foreign language assistants)
- your course lasts at least 24 weeks in the year and it involves at least 21 hours of study a week.
When you apply you will need to prove your student status with either:
- details for all student/s
- the name of the university or college
- Student ID
What if I have a student living with me?
If there is only one household member (aged 18 or over) who isn't a student they are still counted for council tax but they get a 25% discount on their bill
What if everyone living at a property is a student?
You don't have to pay Council Tax. You will need to apply for this exemption.
What you will need:
- your Council Tax reference number (if known) and postcode
- the names of all adults living at the address
- details for all students including their name, the name of their university, college, etc, and a copy of their proof of student status, as well as their tenancy start date
How to apply:
- In order to use this service. Please register your details or login. If you have already registered before - then click on the 'Forms and Information' link.
Apply for student discount
Please note that the Council Tax exemption only applies for the duration of your course, so if your tenancy starts before your course, you will be responsible for paying the Council Tax between your tenancy start date and your course start date.
Likewise, if your tenancy ends after your course, you will be responsible for paying the Council Tax between your course end date and your tenancy end date.