MyAccount is a new way to access your council services. Find out more here.

Council Tax discount and exemptions

Who may be eligible for a Council Tax discount or exemption

The following individuals may be eligible for a Council Tax discount or exemption:

  • Care workers and carers
  • Disabled person
  • Care home resident
  • Full time students
  • Severely mentally impaired
  • Apprentice
  • Recipient of Child Benefit
  • Foreign language assistant
  • Liable person in need of care
  • Occupied annexe
  • Occupied by visiting military service personnel 
  • Occupied by under individuals 18 years of age
  • Person in detention
  • Person providing care
  • Repossessed property
  • Student nurses
  • Youth training trainees

Students - who is classed as a full-time student for Council Tax?

You are classed as a full-time student if you satisfy the following criteria:

  • you are aged 18 years or over and at a college, university, or similar located in the UK or European Union;
  • your course lasts at least 24 weeks in the year; and
  • it involves at least 21 hours of study a week.

You are also classed as a full-time student if you are:

  • distance learning and meet the above criteria
  • a student nurse studying to be included on the register for the first time

What if I have a student living with me?

You can get a 25% discount on your Council Tax if (apart from the student) there is only one person over the age of 18 living in the property.

What if everyone living at a property is a student?

You don't have to pay Council Tax. You will need to apply for this exemption.

Apply online

To complete this form, you will need:

  • your Council Tax reference number (if known) and postcode
  • the names of all adults living at the address
  • details for all students including their name, the name of their university, college, etc, and a copy of their proof of student status, as well as their tenancy start date

In order to use this service. Please register your details or login.  If you have already registered before - then click on the 'My Council Tax and Benefit Information' link.

Please note that the Council Tax exemption only applies for the duration of your course, so if your tenancy starts before your course, you will be responsible for paying the Council Tax between your tenancy start date and your course start date. Likewise, if your tenancy ends after your course, you will be responsible for paying the Council Tax between your course end date and your tenancy end date.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page