Click here to find out about the changes to our waste collection service

Claim an extended payment period for housing benefit

You may be eligible for an extended payment period for your Housing Benefit if you're on benefits and are starting a job or increasing your hours

The extended period means your Housing Benefit will be paid at the same rate as before for 4 weeks after your other benefits stop.

Am I eligible?

You can apply if you're under 60 and on:

  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Employment Support Allowance

You need to have been on the benefit (or a combination of the benefits) for at least 26 weeks continuously and must apply for the extended period within 1 month of the change.

How to claim

Contact us straight away if you think you may be entitled.

 You'll need to supply proof:

  • of your work start date
  • that it's expected to last at least 5 weeks
  • of the hours you'll be working

What happens after the extended payment period?

Your claim will be ended after the extended payment period. However, if you want to continue to claim benefit after the four week extended payment period you must supply proof of all your income and capital. This must be supplied within one month of the change.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page