Click here to find out about the changes to our waste collection service

Complaints about high hedges

Guidelines on what constitutes a 'high hedge' plus information on how to make a complaint

What is classed as a 'high hedge'?

A high hedge should be:

  • more than two metres tall
  • blocking out light or views
  • made up of a line of two or more trees or shrubs
  • mostly evergreen or semi-evergreen

What can I do about a high hedge?

GOV.UK provides comprehensive guidance in the following publications:

Have a chat

Try talking to your neighbour about the problem or writing to them and keeping copies of the letters. You could also arrange mediation to talk it through.

If you still want to complain to us

If you've tried to resolve the problem with your neighbour but can't, you can then make a complaint to us by downloading and completing the form below, also providing us evidence that you've tried to settle the dispute with your neighbour.

Icon for pdf Complaint form: High hedges [104.65KB]

We might reject your complaint if we think you haven't made enough effort to resolve the problem or your complaint isn't serious or you've made it just to annoy your neighbour.

How much does it cost?

The current fee is £350, which must be provided with your completed complaint form.

What happens next?

We won't mediate between you and your neighbour, but we'll look at all relevant facts and make a decision.

If we decide your complaint is valid, we'll send a formal notice to your neighbour setting out what they must do and by when.

If they don't carry out the works, they might have to pay a fine of up to £1,000.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page