Individuals and developers must not allocate their own house numbers, building or street names; you must apply through us
Street naming and numbering application
Use this service when you are:
- naming a new road or existing unnamed street
- creating new addresses eg new properties, commercial units, property conversions, divisions
- changing your house name
- formally adding a house name to your numbered property
- renaming an existing street
For fees information, click here.
Before you start
You will need to provide up to three proposals for the new property name.
For an application to be valid, you will also need to pay the correct fee together with location plans of all properties, showing door accesses where appropriate.
Where a property is already numbered, the number cannot be altered.
What happens next?
- the property will be located and the name checked for suitability and similarity to existing street names
- the property name will be changed on our system and Royal Mail will be informed who will notify us when their system is updated
- we will then write to you to confirm your new registered address and notify major organisations eg NHS, Southern Water
You should not display the new name until you have received written confirmation from us.