Click here to find out about the changes to our waste collection service from Monday 10 May

Report an accident at work

By law, if you are an employer, self-employed or responsible for a work premises, eg a site supervisor, you must report certain work-related incidents to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

What to report

You must report:

  • a death
  • a major injury
  • an injury which incapacitates prevents a person returning to work for more than 7 days
  • a work-related disease
  • certain dangerous events ('near misses')

You must also  record any injury where a person is incapacitated off work for more than 7 days as a result of their accident.

How to report

Death or major injury

To report a death or major injury, call the HSE Incident Contact Centre immediately on 0845 300 9923 or  out of hours (although this is not an emergency service).

Other incidents

What happens next?

The HSE will send your report to us if your business is:

  • retail or wholesale
  • hotel or catering
  • sports or leisure
  • residential accommodation (excluding nursing homes)
  • a place of worship
  • pre-school childcare
  • mobile vending

We will then considering whether to investigate the incident. The HSE itself investigates incidents in factories and industrial premises. .

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page