We are sorry for the issues some residents are experiencing with their waste collections. Report a missed bin here.

Council Tax Reduction

Pay a reduced amount of Council Tax or none at all, depending on your circumstances.

Kent County Council has announced that anyone in receipt of Working Age Council Tax Reduction will receive up to an additional £50 Covid support reduction on their Council Tax bill for 2021/22.
This will be applied automatically to your account and this will be shown on your new bill, so you do not need to contact us.
If you move within the financial year the extra amount will be recalculated accordingly. This will also be the case if you move to another Kent authority.
If your circumstances change the amount awarded may be recalculated but at no time will someone receive more than £50.

Who can apply?

You can apply for Council Tax Reduction (also known as Council Tax Support) if you get any of these benefits, tax credits, Universal Credit, or if you are working and have a low income or are retired and have a low income:

  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • the 'Guaranteed Credit' part of Pension Credit

You must not have savings or capital over £16,000.

How much will the bill be reduced by?

The reduction you get will depend on your circumstances, including:

  • your household income, including savings, pensions and your partner's income
  • your age
  • any children who live with you

If you (and your partner if you are a couple) are of state pension age the amount of Council Tax Reduction that you can receive is decided by a national scheme. Further information about this can be found on the Citizen Advice website

If you're of pensionable age, the highest possible reduction is 100%.

Council Tax Reduction does not affect single person's discount. For more information on how Council Tax Reduction works, click here.

Council Tax Reduction from 1 April 2021

If you are of working age, the amount of Council Tax Reduction that you will receive will be based on the grid below which looks at you (and your partner's income).

These changes do not affect people of state pension age.

CTR Income Percentages
BandSingle Person 
Weekly income (£) 
Weekly income (£)
Household with 1 Child 
Weekly income (£) 
Household with 2 or more children
Weekly income (£) 
(1) 75%  discount*0.00 to 115.000.00 to 164.000.00 to 194.000.00 to 277.00
(2) 55% discount115.01 to 154.00164.01 to 194.00194.01 to 226.00277.01 to 348.00
(3) 35% discount 154.01 to 194.00194.01 to 226.00226.01 to 277.00348.01 to 430.00
(4) 22% discount 194.01 to 287.00226.01 to 317.00277.01 to 348.00430.01 - 506.00

* If you are in receipt of relevant benefit (Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based), Employment Support Allowance (Income Related) or Income Support) you will receive 75% support.

Some incomes you receive do not count when working out your weekly income.  They are: 

  • Child Benefit
  • Child Maintenance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • War Pensions
  • Carers Allowance and Employment Support Allowance Support Components
  • Housing element from Universal Credit.

If you are working, we will ignore £25 of your earned income when working out your total award.

If you are disabled (in receipt of a qualifying disability benefit) we will ignore £40.00 of your income when working out your total award.

A deduction will be taken from your award of £10.00 per week for each Non Dependant (someone who normally lives with you as an adult son, daughter, relative or friend) where relevant.

There will not be a deduction taken for them if they are in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based), Employment Support Allowance (Income Related), Income Support, Pension Credit (Guaranteed Credit), or Universal Credit if they have no earnings.

Example of percentage of reduction

A single person with one child who earns £250.00 per week and receives Tax Credits of £35.00 per week. They have a total income of £285.00 per week. Because they work we take £25.00 from their earnings so their total income is £260.00.

This would mean that they would receive 35% discount from their Council Tax bill in Band 3 for a household with 1 child.

If you already receive Council Tax Reduction you do not need to submit any new forms.

The amount of Council Tax Reduction discount that you will get shows on your Council Tax bill.

Please remember that any changes that could affect this discount must be reported to the council within 21 days of the change.

How to apply

Complete the online application form, making sure you have:

  • your Council Tax reference number (if known)
  • the names of all adults living at the address and their National Insurance numbers and employment details
  • details of any other income, for example from self-employment or a pension
  • details of all bank, building society, and savings accounts including account details and amounts held

You can also use this form to apply for Housing Benefit at the same time.

Submitting your evidence

Once you submit the online form, if you have included your email address you will be emailed a list of any evidence required to process your application, which you can submit here.

What happens next?

If you're awarded a reduction, you'll get a letter to confirm this. You'll also get a new Council Tax bill, showing the new amount you need to pay.

Appealing a decision

You can appeal a decision to not award a Council Tax Reduction if you think it's wrong. We will respond within two months.

If we don't agree you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal who must receive your appeal within two months of us making our decision.

Visit GOV.UK: Council Tax appeals for further information on Council Tax appeals.

Change of circumstances

If you want to tell us something has changed on your current claim please complete our change of circumstances form. 

Cancelling Council Tax Reduction

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page