We are sorry for the issues some residents are experiencing with their waste collections. Report a missed bin here.

Household changes

Let us know if anyone from your household leaves to live somewhere else, or if anyone comes to live with you permanently by sending us an email at housing.service@folkestone-hythe.gov.uk  or call 01303 853000.

Note: If you are in receipt of benefits then it is your responsibility to tell the relevant department about any changes to your household, or your households' income.

Joint tenancies

A joint tenancy is when more than one person is named in the tenancy agreement. Partners (married or unmarried) who have made a joint housing application will usually be offered a joint tenancy. This means that tenant has equal rights and therefore:

  • Each tenant is responsible for making sure that the rent and other charges are paid in full
  • If one tenant breaks the conditions of the agreement, the other (others) tenant can also be held responsible
  • If one tenant dies, the other can continue at the tenant
  • Joint tenancies can be ended when any one of the joint tenants gives the Council 4 weeks' notice in writing. When this happens the tenancy ends for the other joint tenant too, even if they do not agree to this

Note: If you want someone to become a joint tenant during your tenancy please contact your Neighbourhood Officer to discuss it. You should think carefully before changing to a joint tenancy and giving up a sole tenancy and seek independent legal advice.

Family or relationship break-up

Joint tenants have equal rights to stay in the home until one of the tenants ends the tenancy and then both tenants will have to leave. In some exceptional situations the Council may give a new sole tenancy to the remaining tenant for the same property, however, this is not a standard procedure and should not relied upon

  • If you are not joint tenants, the person whose named as the sole tenant on the tenancy agreement has the right to ask their partner to leave the home
  • If you are not joint tenants and the sole tenant agrees to leave the home then the remaining partner has no automatic right to stay in the home
  • If you have children living with you, a family court will normally put their interests first to make sure they do not become homeless. The court will usually give the tenancy to the parent who has the main care responsibility for the children

Handing on your tenancy

When a tenant dies we will talk to everyone in the household about their housing options.

  • If there is a joint tenant the tenancy will automatically pass to them
  • If there is no joint tenant, then a partner, or an adult member of the family, who has been living with the tenant for at least 12 months up to the time of the death may be allowed to take over the tenancy (this depends on your tenancy)
  • If the home is not suitable for the tenant taking over (because it is sheltered housing or too big) they may be asked to move to a different property
  • A tenancy can usually only be handed on once and the person taking over the tenancy is called a successor

Taking in a lodger

You can take in a lodger provided do not overcrowd your home.

  • A lodger is someone who shares your home as a member of the household and pays to rent a bedroom and share facilities (kitchen, bathroom and lounge etc.)
  • If you do decide to rent a bedroom to a lodger you must tell the Council about them and the date they will move-in
  • If you are in receipt of benefits then any payment you receive from a lodger may be considered as income so you must inform the correct benefit department as well

For further information about any of the above email housing.service@folkestone-hythe.gov.uk or contact your Neighbourhood Officer.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page