If you have recently moved in you may find our News & Publications web page.
helpful. There are more publications regarding your tenancy on our
Different tenancy agreements give you different rights. You need to ensure you are aware of what type of agreement you have and what your responsibilities are. You can do this by reading your agreement and accessing further information on our News & Publications web page.
When you signed your tenancy agreement, you made a legally binding contract to keep to the terms and responsibilities of the agreement, summarised below:
As a good tenant you should:
- Pay your rent and any service charges on time
- Use the property as your main home and not sublet your property
- Keep the Council up to date on who is living in your home
- Ensure that you, your family and visitors do not cause a nuisance or harass neighbours
- Take care of the property, keep it clean, well decorated, and keep a tidy garden if you have one
- Report repairs that you are not responsible for as soon as possible, visit our Report Repairs web page for more information
- Give the Council access for gas safety checks, repairs and inspections
- Dispose of your rubbish correctly, so as not to attract vermin or cause a fire
- Makes sure your home is well ventilated
- Only have a pet if you have permission and look after it in a responsible way
- Ask the Council for permission if you want to run a business from your home
- Notify the Council if you intend to be away from your property for an extended period or we may think you have abandoned it
- Give at least four weeks' notice in writing if you have decided to end your tenancy. Leaving it in good condition with your rent payments up-to-date.
You might find the Kent Guide helpful , please visit this web site Kent Housing Group.