MyAccount is a new way to access your council services. Find out more here.

Register a food business

Before starting a food business, you need to either register the premises you use or obtain approval

When do I need to register?

You must register every premises where food is stored, prepared, distributed or sold, including:

  • your home; and,
  • mobile or temporary premises such as stalls and vans

You must register at least 28 days before you start any food operations.

What if I don't register?

You may be fined, imprisoned for up to 2 years or both if you run a food business without registering.

You may also need premises approval

If you make, prepare or handle food that comes from animals, for example meat or dairy products, other than for direct sale to the consumer, your premises may need to be approved by us before you can undertake the activity.

What if I take over an existing food business?

You still have to register.

Further information

For a New Business Information Pack, or if you have questions about registering, contact the Food Safety Team.

How much does it cost?

Registration is free.

How do I register?

Complete the registration form by clicking the button below.

What happens next?

Unless we need more information, you will receive a confirmation of receipt of your food registration form.

Some details about your business will appear on our public register of food businesses and will also be provided to Trading Standards at KCC, who deal with food labelling and composition matters.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page