Do I qualify for Housing Benefit?
You will not be able to make a new claim for Housing Benefit unless you;
- and your partner have both reached state pension age
- are in exempt accommodation (you will need to claim Universal Credit for living costs but you may also get some help from Folkestone & Hythe District Council with your rent)
- are in temporary accommodation placed by the Council (you will need to claim Universal Credit for living costs but you may also get some help from Folkestone & Hythe District Council with your rent)
- you are entitled to a severe disability premium
If you fall into one of the exempt categories above you can apply for Housing Benefit. If you live with a partner, only one of you can get Housing Benefit.
What help can i get?
If you do not fall into one of these categories you must claim Universal Credit for help with Housing costs.
Apply for Universal Credit
Who isn't eligible for Housing Benefit?
Usually you won't get Housing Benefit if:
- Your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get the 'Guarantee Credit' part of Pension Credit
- You live in the home of a close relative
- You're a full-time student - unless you're disabled or have children
- You're an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK
- You're residing in the UK as an European Economic Area jobseeker
What information do I need to complete this form?
You will need to create a MyAccount which will show you the personal information relating to your property and is being developed as a central area for you to transact with us.
When you complete this form, you will need:
- Your claim reference number and Council Tax account number (if known)
- The names of all adults living at the address and their National Insurance numbers and employment details
- Details of your living arrangements including how much rent you are charged, tenancy start date, and landlord details
- Details of any benefits you receive
- Details of any other income, for example from self-employment or a pension
- Details of all bank, building society, and savings accounts, including account details and amounts held
You can also use this form to apply for Council Tax Reduction at the same time.
Create a MyAccount and apply for Housing Benefit
Submitting your evidence
Once you submit the online form, if you have given your email address you will be emailed a list of any evidence required to process your application. You can use the button below to submit your evidence.
Submit your evidence
What happens next?
We'll normally start paying your benefit from the Monday after you submit your claim. Click the link to find out how we pay your Housing Benefit.
Change of circumstances
If you want to tell us something has changed on your current claim please complete our change in circumstances form.
Tell us about a change
Cancelling your Housing Benefit
If you wish to cancel your Housing Benefit, click the button below. You will need your claim reference number. You can also use this form to cancel your Council Tax Reduction at the same time.
Cancel your Housing Benefit