Apply for a gambling premises licence

A premises licence is required where gambling facilities are to be provided. Types of premises include, bingo halls, casinos, betting shops and arcades (adult gaming centres, family entertainment centres).

Before you start

You must hold an operating licence or have an application for one in progress before you can apply for a gambling premises licence.

Operating licences are issued by the Gambling Commission.

If the premises are not yet built or you don't have the right to occupy them, you can apply for a provisional statement.

Who can apply?

You must:

  • be over 18 years old
  • have the right to occupy the premises

How much it costs

The application fee depends on the type of premises and whether a provisional statement has already been issued.


Type of premisesFull licence applicationApplication where provisional statement is in placeAnnual fee
Regional casino£15,000£8,000£15,000
Large casino£10,000£8,000£10,000
Small casino£8,000£3,000£5,000
Bingo premises£3,500£1,200£1,000
Adult gaming centre£2,000£1,200£1,000
Track betting £2,500£950£1,000
Betting (other)£3,000£1,200£600
Family entertainment centre£2,000£950£750


Licence duration

A licence remains in effect until it is revoked or surrendered.  You must pay an annual fee to keep the licence valid.  The first annual fee is due 30 days after the licence is issued.

How to apply

Complete and return the application form with the correct fee.

You can pay by credit or debit card by phoning 01303 853660.

Icon for pdf Application for a premises licence under the Gambling Act 2005 [44.53KB]

Advertising your application

You'll need to:

This gives residents, businesses and responsible authorities the opportunity to read your proposal and make representations if they wish.

If a provisional statement has been issued, the circumstances under which representations are accepted are limited. Representations will be disregarded if they relate to matters that could have been addressed during the application process for a provisional statement.

What happens next?

If there are no representations at the end of the 28 day representation period, we will issue your licence within 5 working days.

If there are representations, the Licensing Sub-Committeewill hold a hearing at which all parties will be invited to attend. At the hearing, the committee will decide whether to grant or reject your application.

We will write to confirm the decision and tell you what you can do if you wish to appeal.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page