Self build register
The Self-Build and Custom House building Act 2015 places a duty on us to keep a register of people who are interested in self build or custom build projects in the district.
How is the register used?
This register will help inform us of:
- the level of demand for self build and custom build plots in the district;
- where people would like their plot to be; and,
- the type of house that they would like to build.
This information will enable us to develop a strategy for matching people to plots in their area.
Types of custom build projects
Individual custom build
- an individual purchases a plot of land and builds a home
- they may do some or all of the build themselves, or employ a builder, architect and in some cases, a project manager to oversee the build
Group custom build
- a group of people come together to design and develop a custom build housing development which they then live in
- they may build this themselves or with help from a developer to manage the project
Developer-led custom build
- a developer divides a larger site into individual plots and provides a design and build service to purchasers
- this gives people a chance to tailor existing house designs to suit their own preference and needs
Register for a self or custom build plot
If you would like to register your interest for a self or custom build plot, please complete the online registration form.
Register for a self build plot
Both the Planning Portal and GOV.UK provide comprehensive information on self build and custom build projects. You can also visit the Self Build Portal which has a number of interactive guides.